Thursday, July 28, 2011

DO YOU READ "PARENTING SPECIAL NEEDS MAGAZINE"?

I was reading the current digital copy of Parenting Special Needs Magazine and came across I really great article on "Tips for Encouraging Your Child Toward Independence".


Here is an excerpt:


TEACH HER SELF-AWARENESS by Chynna Laird
Self awareness involves, not only teaching your child what she's dealing with, but also how things affect her, what tools she needs to thrive and all the "why's" in between. Of course, teaching this depends greatly on your child's developmental stage, ability to understand and the level as well as complexity of her condition. I started talking to Jamie about what she was going through from the moment someone started coming to our house to work with her. Obviously, at 2 years of age Jamie would not have understood any of the technical jargon. But I helped her understand that this wonderful woman called an OT was coming over to play so she'd feel better about stuff. As time went on, I shared with her all the things I was learning from out fabulous sensory team--at her level of understanding. Teaching self-awareness is also the step in the direction of educating your child how to advocate for herself one day.

I wanted to share the article link here and well as the link to sign up for this free digital magazine here.


It's so important to explain to any child the "why and what" that is going on. Just because your child may not be verbal and ask questions doesn't mean they don't want to understand. With our daughter's doctor appointments a conversation may go something like this (Court is 12):


Me: "Court today we are going to the doctor."
Court: "Shots?" (this means shots or any lab work)
Me: "The doctor is going to check your to make sure your are healthy and strong."
Court: "No shots!"
Me: "You might have to get a shot but that's ok because it will make you healthy."
(I wait for a few seconds to let her think about it)
Me: "It's OK to be nervous or scared but it only takes a minute and your done."
(Pausing for Court to continue to think about it)
Me: "But your a big girl and you'll be just fine and mom will hold your hand."
Court: "OK I want a shake!"
Me: "After your doctor appt we will get a shake."


I have learned NEVER to make Court promises of no shots because even a well-visit can turn into a full blown visit with x-rays and labs. So I just let her know that I'm not sure. With Court I try to be straight to the point and direct. Also when in the doctors office I ask quietly to the receptionist (while Court is sitting down) that the nurse and doctor address Court FIRST. After all she is their patient not me. I always encouraged her to shake their hand upon meeting and include her in the conversations with doctors/nurses about her health. I encourage Court to answer questions the doctor has before I just jump in. This has worked really well for putting Court at ease. Also on the point of "stranger danger" before the examination even begins (past the weight/height point) I tell Court: "Court the doctor/nurse has to check your body but only because Mom is here. No one else is to "check" your body." Then usually the nurse/ doctor will say something like "That's right Courtney I am checking your belly, legs, etc." I want Court to be engaged when it comes to her health. I want her to be treated with respect & dignity. 


How do you handle doctors appointments, etc...and explaining the "whats & whys?"

No comments:

Post a Comment