Tuesday, August 7, 2012

INCLUSION CHECKLIST

I found this really great "Inclusion Checklist" by Sue Watson.

This might be a great resource to give to your child's teacher @ an IEP.


Modifications? Accommodations or Interventions? Here's a checklist of strategies to help you with the inclusional classroom which will assist in meeting the needs of all students.
___ Special needs students are within close proximity to the teacher or the teacher's assistant.
___ I have procedures that are well understood by students to keep noise levels at an acceptable level. The Yacker Tracker is a worthwhile investment.
___ I have a special carrel or private location for test-taking and or seatwork for those requiring 'free of distractions' to enable success.
___ I have eliminated as much clutter as I can and keep distractions to a minimum.
___ I never present instructions/directions orally alone. I always provide graphic organizers, written or graphical instructions also.
___ Clarifications and reminders are given regularly as needed.
___ Needy students have agendas which I regularly have them, and myself refer to. Home/school communication is in place for those students requiring it.
___ Work is organized into workable 'chunks'.
___ My classroom expectations are clearly understood as are my consequences for inappropriate behaviors.
___ Extra assistance is provided when needed through a peer or myself.
___ Praise for 'catching them doing it right' occurs regularly.
___ Use of behavior contracts to target specific behaviors is in place.
___ My students are aware of my cueing and prompting system which helps them stay on task.
___ I never begin instructions/directions until I have my classe's undivided attention.
___ I allow additional 'wait' time for my special needs students.
___ I provide my special needs students with regular, ongoing feedback and always promote their self-esteem.
___ Do all of your learning experiences promote learning?
___ Do you provide activies that are multi-sensory and take into consideration learning styles?
___ Do you let your special needs students repeat instructions/directions?
___ Do you modify and or shorten assignments to ensure success?
___ Do you have methods to enable the student to have text written to him/her and can they dicate their answers?
___ Do you provide opportunities for cooperative learning? Working together in groups often helps to clarify misconceptions for learning delayed students.

No comments:

Post a Comment